Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 8-10 shortcakes
The perfect base for the fresh fruit of the season!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or vegetable oil
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Sliced fresh strawberries, peaches, nectarines, blueberries or raspberries sweetened with sugar or honey.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Cut butter or oil into dry ingredients with pastry cutter or in food processor.
- Add eggs and milk, mixing lightly to form into a ball. (4 or 5 pulses in a food processor.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead, roll or pat to 1/2 inch thick. about 5 times.
- Cut with large biscuit cutter or cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet
- Bake 10 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Split shortcakes and spoon sweetened fruit over bottom crust. Replace top and spoon more berries over top crust. Top with whipped cream.