Hands on Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 1/2 hours including rising time
Yield: 2 loaves
A delicate, finely flavored bread.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup sorghum or molasses
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups WEM Rye Flour
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 3 1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose (unbleached) Flour
- In small saucepan or microwave bowl, heat milk yogurt sorghum, and butter or oil to warm.
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk mixture to yeast bowl.
- Stir in coriander, salt, rye flour , and whole wheat flour beating vigorously by hand or with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in enough unbleached flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead 7-10 minutes. (Or use mixer with dough hook attachment.)
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and shape into 2 braided loaves by making 6, 18 inch ropes-3 for each loaf. Pinch ends together and begin the braid with center rope. For rustic loaves shape into 2 round or oval loaves or shape into regular loaves and use loaf pans.
- Place on baking sheets or loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.