Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
Yield: 2 small or 1 large loaf
The beans add a very nice aroma and texture as well as extra protein to this bread!
- 1 3/4 cups (or 15 oz can) any variety well seasoned cooked beans
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups WEM All-Purpose (unbleached) Flour
- Put 1 3/4 cups well seasoned beans (Any variety will do: pinto, great northern, navy, lima, etc.) from bean pot or can into blender, food processor or mill and puree.
- Put in saucepan or micro-wave bowl and warm through.
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add honey, warm bean puree, oil and salt.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, mixing vigorously by hand or with electric mixer.
- Work in unbleached flour until dough is no longer sticky. Place in an oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Deflate dough and shape into 2 small or 1 large loaf.
- Oil or coat loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Put loaves in pans, cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until well browned and crusty.
- Remove from pan and let cool on rack.