Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
Serve with War Eagle Mill Cornbread and sliced, sweet onion! Beans were a main stay of meals back in pioneer days. They are healthy and delicious and when eaten with cornbread make a complete, no or lowfat protein.
- Sort beans, removing small dirt clods and/or rocks if any. Wash in colander.
- In a large stockpot, bring beans and enough water to cover them to a boil. Pour this water off.
- Add 3 quarts fresh water and rest of ingredients, except salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 hours or until tender. Add more water if needed.
- When beans are tender, add salt to taste.