Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours including rise time
Quinoa is an ancient grain with high protein, mineral, and vitamin content. The grain turns to a translucent interesting looking kernel that has a delicious, slightly nutty flavor.
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup warm milk (low or no fat is fine)
- 1/4 cup sorghum, molasses, honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 package or 1 tablespoon (scant) dry yeast
- teaspoon salt
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 cups WEM All Purpose (unbleached) Flour
- Rinse quinoa in cold water. In medium saucepan, stir together quinoa and water. Bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Cover and let cool. Makes 1 cup cooked quinoa.
- In large bowl, stir together milk, sorghum, oil and yeast.
- Mix in salt, quinoa, and whole wheat flour beating vigorously by hand or with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Mix in unbleached flour.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. (Or with mixer using dough hook attachment.)
- Place in a clean oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and set in a warm place torise for 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and shape into loaf.
- Oil or spray a loaf pan.
- Place loaf in pan, cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until bottom of loaf is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.