Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour including rise time
Yield: 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves
Preparation and baking time for this bread is a little over one hour!
- 2 packages (2 scant tablespoons) dry active yeast
- 1 can (12 oz.) warm beer
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups WEM Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon WEM Cornmeal
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm beer.
- Stir in sugar, salt, baking soda and whole wheat flour, mixing vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in unbleached flour.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Or use a mixer with dough hook attachment.
- Shape into a large oblong loaf.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet or baking stone with the cornmeal.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bottom of loaf is golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve this hot on a bread board and tear off hunks, dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and enjoy!