Baking Time: 8-10 min
Trick your quests at your next gathering with pumpkin shaped Sugar Cookies … They’ll never know this fun Fall themed cookie was made with organic whole grains….unless you tell them!
- 2 cups Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs grated orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs milk
- 2 Tbs sugar, for coating
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Black, orange, green and other food coloring as desired
- Stir together first five ingredients. In large bowl, beat butter on high for 1 minute. Add sugar & mix until combined. Stir in egg, orange peel and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with bottom of glass dipped in sugar topping.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- Stir together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Split icing into three bowls. Stir in 3 drops of orange food coloring to one bowl, 3 drops of green food coloring to second bowl and 5 drops of black food coloring to the last bowl. Stir in more drops to each bowl for darker coloring.
- Spread orange frosting over cooled cookies. Poor black frosting into a small plastic sealable sandwich bag and move frosting to one of the bottom corners of the bag. Use scissors to snip off a small corner piece. Squeeze out frosting from corner and start designing your pumpkin! Do the same with the green frosting and design your pumpkin’s stem.
(Photo from iStockPhoto)