Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 30-40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours including rise time
Yield: 2 small loaves or 1 large loaf
Your family will improve their cholesterol count while enjoying this delicious, nutritious loaf!
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup WEM Oat Bran
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup honey or 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons egg substitute or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- *LOWER SODIUM DIRECTIONS: Omit salt or use a salt substitute
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl combine hot water, oat bran, honey and oil. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add egg white or egg substitute, citrus extract and salt.
- Stir in yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour.
- Beat with a spoon adding enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff batter, working with your hands if necessary.
- Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Divide the dough evenly into the 2 pans.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in volume. Do not let batter reach the top of pan before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans and cool thoroughly on wire rack before slicing.