Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Approximately 16-4" pancakes
Full of fiber and healthy grains.
- 3/4 cup WEM Organic White Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup WEM Organic Rye Flour
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Thick Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk warmed to room temperature (see below for substitute)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, cornmeal, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold buttermilk and sour cream into egg whites.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until batter is moistened.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle.
- Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around the edges.
- Flip pancakes and cook the other side until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
No buttermilk on hand? Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar, to 1 cup regular milk, stir and let stand 5 minutes. You just made buttermilk! Works best with whole or 2% milk.