A kid tried and true favorite! Little hand-held pies filled with creamy turkey and sweet carrots. Perfect for the lunch box or a fancy appetizer!
- 1 cup War Eagle Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup War Eagle Mill White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup (2 sticks butter), chilled
- 5 Tbsp cold water
- 3 Tbsp chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp grated carrot
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup shredded, cooked turkey
- 3 Tbsp chicken or turkey broth
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, diced
- Saute the onion in the butter until tender. Stir in the carrot, turkey, broth, garlic salt, poultry seasoning, pepper and cream cheese. Stir and remove from heat.
- Mix together flour, salt and paprika. Cut in butter with pastry blender or pulse in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork or pulsing until a ball forms.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8 ” thin. Cut into 2 1/2 ” squares. Re-roll scraps and cut squares with remaining pastry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mound a heaping tsp of cooled filling in the center of each square. Moistened edges of pastry with water, fold over and seal edges by pressing with the tines of a fork. Prick tops with a fork to vent steam.
- Place pies on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Freeze leftovers and reheat 10 minutes in 375 degree oven. Great to make ahead and reheat for appetizers.
For a vegetarian version, substitute sauted’ mushrooms and their liquid for chicken and broth. Add peas for more nutrition, texture and color!