Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes including rise time
Yield: 2 loaves
Millet has a nice popcorn flavor that adds texture and taste to breads.
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (2 scant tablespoons) dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups warm milk (low or no fat is fine)
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 cup WEM Old Fashioned Oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 1/2-4 cups WEM All-Purpose (unbleached) Flour
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- In medium size saucepan, cook millet in water for 5 minutes. Cover and let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in warm milk, honey or sugar, oil, oats, salt, whole wheat flour, and cooled millet.
- Beat vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the unbleached flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (or knead with mixer using the dough hook attachment.)
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and on lightly floured surface shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in loaf pans coated with oil or cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.