Hands on Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
Double nutty flavor with Flax and Pecans!
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup WEM All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons WEM Flaxseed or 4 tablespoons WEM Flaxmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (zest)
- 1/4 cup butter or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- If using whole flax seed, grind to a meal in a blender or spice mill. Set aside.
- Grate lemon peel. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°f.
- Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or paper liners.
- In large bowl, mix together flours, flax meal, baking powder, salt and pecans.
- In a small bowl, cream together butter or oil and honey.
- Stir in egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and milk.
- Spoon into flour mixture, mixing just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
While muffins are cooling, top with a glaze of 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice stirred into 1 cup powdered sugar, for a sweet and tart dessert muffin!