Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-5 dozen
A hard cracker-like cookie with a light lemony flavor this old timey cookie was used as a pocket food by settlers because of its keeping qualities. A great dunker!
- 1/2 cup shortening, butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (whole, 2 % or skim)
- 4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 6 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour ( or 4 cups All -Purpose and 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar by hand or with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Blend in milk and lemon extract.
- Combine baking powder, salt and flour and add to creamed mixture mixing until smooth. Batter will be stiff.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Knead 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet or two with cooking spray.
- Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Or divide into 2 or 3 pieces, shape into rolls 2 inches in diameter and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. ( or wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate or freeze to bake later.) Prick centers with a fork 2 or 3 times and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes or until very lightly browned on edges.
- Cool on rack and store in an airtight container.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Great with a hot cup of herb tea!