Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6-8 servings
Savor this stew for a true taste of the Irish.
- 2-1/2 pounds lamb or beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp War Eagle Mill Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp War Eagle Mill Organic Pearled Barley
- 2 pints lamb or beef stock
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
Add meat to a large bowl and toss with flour.
Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Brown the meat in 2 batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same saucepan, over medium heat, add the rest of the olive oil.
Add onion, garlic, and bay leaves and saute until the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Return browned meat to the saucepan and stir in the thyme, pearled barley, stock, salt and pepper.
Bring to simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer on low for one hour, stirring constantly.
Skim the top if needed. Stir in potatoes and carrots.
Cover and cook for another 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are trender. Adjust seasonings.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and remove from heat.