Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6-8 servings
Savor this stew for a true taste of the Irish.
- 2-1/2 pounds lamb or beef, excess fat trimmed off and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons WEM Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons WEM Organic Pearled Barley
- 2 pints lamb or beef stock
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Add meat to a large bowl and toss with flour.
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Brown the meat in 2 batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, reduce heat to medium and add the rest of the olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, and bay leaves and saute until the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Return browned meat to the saucepan and stir in the thyme, pearled barley, stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to simmer. cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer on low for one hour, stirring constantly.
- Skim the top if needed. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for another 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are trender. Adjust seasonings.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and remove from heat.