Hands on Time: 20-30 minutes
Baking Time: 35 for loaves 15-20 for breadsticks
Total Time: 2 1/2 -3 hours including rise time
Yield: 2 medium or 1 large loaf or 48 breadsticks
A beautiful rustic loaf with a crispy, chewy crust or crispy breadsticks.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine or olive oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in honey or sugar and whole wheat flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes vigorously by hand.
- Cover and let the mixture (sponge) rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Fold in oil, salt and all-purpose flour cup by cup.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes (or use dough hook attachment of mixer) until smooth and elastic.
- Cover hands with softened butter and pat dough into a greased ball.
- Put in a large bowl, cove and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Deflate (punch down) dough. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 medium size or 1 very large loaf.Coat a baking sheet with butter and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Place loaves on baking sheet.
- Let rise uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a shallow pan of boiling water in bottom of oven.
- Brush loaves gently with melted butter then brush loaves with cold water. Make 4-5 diagonal slashes in tops.
- Bake bread 7 minutes. then lower heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
After first rise, deflate dough, divide into 4 pieces and roll each piece on a floured surface into a 12 X 17 inch rectangle. Cut in 12 (7 X 1 inch) strips. With finger tips, roll each strip in an 8-10 inch rope. Place about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Brush with a mixture of 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds or coarse sea salt if desired. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.