Hands on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rise times.
Yield: 24 buns
This traditional Easter Morning bun starts with one recipe War Eagle Basic Sweet Dough found in recipe section.
- One recipe War Eagle Basic Sweet Dough
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/3 cup candied, diced fruit OR any combination of dried pineapple, apricots and cranberries
- Mix together until smooth, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon warm water.
- After the sponge rise of the Basic Sweet Dough, stir in cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Work in about 3 1/2 cups all purpose called for in recipe or as much as needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Work in currants and other fruit.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead gently about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Pinch off dough and shape into balls 2 inches in diameter. Place 3 inches apart on well-buttered or sprayed baking sheet.
- Snip tops with scissors making an X design.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until light.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and with a knife or spoon, drizzle on the Lemon Glaze in the form of a cross on top of each bun.