Baking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 to 6
This is a healthy twist on a traditional Italian favorite. Our version is made with low-fat butter milk and encrusted with delicious raw wheat germ–and baked to perfection.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3/4 cup WEM Raw or Toasted Wheat Germ
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup regular or low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices(you may peel it for extra tenderness).
- Put buttermilk in shallow bowl or pie pan.
- Combine wheat germ, Parmesan cheese, parsley, paprika and pepper in a shallow dish or pie pan.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Dip eggplant in buttermilk and then in wheat germ mixture.
- Place on baking sheet or pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- While eggplant is baking, combine tomato sauce, basil, oregano and garlic powder.
- When eggplant is golden and crisp, spoon sauce over each piece and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 5 minute or until cheese melts.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Wonderful served on homemade Whole Wheat Pasta and topped with Marinara Sauce. To serve as an appetizer, after baking cut in bite size pieces and serve on tooth picks.