Baking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Fresh vegetables in a traditional sauce. Irresistible!
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, chunked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 8 medium fresh ripe tomatoes (about 3 pounds) Use canned or frozen only if fresh is not available.
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place onion with enough water to cover in blender or food processor. Blend until chopped. Repeat with carrot.
- In a large saucepan or kettle, heat olive oil on medium high. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Saute until tender.
- In a large sauce pan, bring 2 quarts water to boil. Drop fresh tomatoes in and blanch 2-3 minutes or until skins will slip off.
- Remove from water, rinse in cold water and peel.
- Blend tomatoes in blender or food processor until chopped but not pureed.
- Add tomatoes to sauted vegetables. Add sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occassionaly. Add basil the last 30 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve over pasta and top with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
This sauce freezes well also. Make a big batch when tomatoes are in season.