These are always a kid favorite, but our version gives them a healthy whole-grain crunch that ‘big’ kids will like too!
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 pound skinless tilapia fillets, cut into strips
- 1 cup WEM Organic Corn Flour
- ½ cup WEM Organic White Wheat Wholegrain Flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Ketchup for little kids, tartar sauce & lemon wedges for big kids.
In a large bowl whisk together egg whites, salt, pepper and garlic. In another bowl, combine flours and more seasoning to suit taste.
Add fish strips to egg mixture and toss to coat. Lift fish out letting excess drip off. Dredge in flour and pat lightly to help it adhere to fish. Transfer to a large baking sheet or platter.
Using a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, cook fish until golden brown and opaque, about 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Any firm white-fleshed fish can be used in place of tilapia such as cod, haddock or catfish