Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Dress up your holiday feast, or any meal,with this tasty, nutritious, colorful cornbread. It’s so easy to make, because the secret is… you start with our corn bread mix!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1-½ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cups WEM Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
- Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Spoon onion into a medium bowl with cranberries and set aside.
- Add remaining oil (1 teaspoon) to skillet and place in oven to preheat.
- Stir buttermilk, butter, egg and egg whites into onions and cranberries.
- In large bowl, mix together Cornbread Mix and baking soda.
- Gradually add buttermilk mixture into Cornbread Mix, stirring just until moistened.
- Remove hot pan from oven.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.