Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 1 9 X 5 inch loaf
An American classic and holiday favorite.
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour OR 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Four and 1 cup WEM All Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, cut in half
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed OR 1/2 cup honey
- Coat a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Grate orange peel. (zest)
- Cut cranberries in half. Put in small bowl.
- Add orange juice and sugar or honey and let soak a few minutes.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, salt baking soda, baking powder, orange peel and nuts.
- Beat egg and stir egg and oil into cranberry mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until blended.
- Fold into loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from loaf pan and cool on wire rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve with whipped cream cheese.