Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 10-15 minutes for all cakes
Total Time: 25 minutes
A Southwest specialty and a favorite everywhere.
- 1 cup WEM Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup WEM White Whole Wheat or WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or melted butter
- In medium size bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add milk, egg and oil to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Oil and heat griddle to medium low.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls on to griddle.
- Flip when surface is covered with bubbles and cook another 1-2 minutes on second side
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve with butter, maple syrup, honey or fresh fruit. These are delicious with savory foods like chili, soups and sausage gravy too. Add chopped onions for an easy, non-fried hush-puppy.