Hands on Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: About 3 dozen Bites
A tasty, kid friendly nugget made with War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits and cauliflower. Nutritious and low-fat and an easy way to use left over grits!
- 3/4 cup War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits, cooked*
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups cauliflower, steamed and chopped fine**
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup regular or reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
* To cook grits, slowly stir 1/3 cup War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits into 1 1/2 cups boiling, salted (1/4 tsp) water. Simmer 12-15 minutes stirring frequently until thickened and water is absorbed.
** Steam 3 cups fresh cauliflower in one inch of water in a covered pot until fork tender but not mushy. Drain well and dry on paper towel. Chop fine with a sharp knife.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Use one Tbsp of the grits mixture and form into small cakes or “Bits” with a spoon.
Place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom, remove from oven and turn Bits over.
Bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve hot as a side dish with your favorite entree or cold as a snack.