Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes for all pancakes.
Yield: 15 pancakes
Buckwheat flour is made from the seed (called a groat)of the flowering buckwheat plant. It is not technically a grain but actually a member of the dock and rhubarb family and is very low in gluten. It is very filling and is used successfully to help satisfy hunger for a long time.
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey, sorghum or sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Stir together the flour, baking powder,and salt.
- Add honey, egg, milk and oil.
- Add enough water to make a thin batter.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on a hot, lightly greased griddle.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve hot with butter, syrup, honey, fruit or jam. Used leftover pancakes instead of bread for sandwiches. PB and J is especially good for a snack time.