Hands on Time: 7-10 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 15 large biscuits
Very flavorful lunch or dinner biscuits. Great with soups and salads!
- 2 cups WEM Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup WEM Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped green onion tops
- 1-½ cups buttermilk
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 5 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Chop green onion tops.
- In medium bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, basil and thyme.
- With a pastry cutter, cut in butter or oil. (This can also be done in a food processor, but be careful not to over process. Usually about 5 pulses will do)
- Stir in blue cheese and green onion.
- With a fork, mix in buttermilk, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead gently for 2 strokes.
- Roll or pat out 1/2 inch thick and cut with a floured biscuit cutter or cut in squares with a sharp knife.
- Place biscuits touching one another in an un-greased baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Cut in 1 inch squares and serve hot as appetizers!