Makes a great side dish for any family gathering, especially summer barbecues! Give it a try!
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 avocado, sliced and diced
- 1 tomato, sliced
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.
Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
Mix in the black beans and herbs.
Fold in avocado and tomato. Enjoy!