Hands on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 cake
An old fashioned twist on a delicious cake with a beautiful presentation.
- 1-16 ounce can apricot halves, undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup WEM Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated (zest)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Drain apricots reserving 3/4 cup juice. Set aside.
- Coat bottom of 9 ” round cake pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and almonds over butter. Arrange apricots over top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda stirring well.
- In another medium bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and sugar vigorously by hand or on medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add lemon zest, vanilla and egg and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with reserved apricot juice, starting and ending with dry ingredients and beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter over apricots.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice: stir well and drizzle over warm cake in pan.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes on wire rack.
- Place cake plate over pan and invert so that bottom of cake in the pan is now the top on the plate.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.