Looks like the winter weather is heading south…wait a minute, I am South & still shoveling snow! I’ve gone through three dead trees keeping my fireplace going. Makes me think of soup, a cup of tea (or when it’s after 5:00 somewhere, a glass of wine) and a good book. Warm up the War Eagle Way with our Corn & Sweet Potato Soup recipe.
War Eagle Valley
Chunky, creamy and colorful but most importantly, dee-licious! The corn flour thickens this comforting, kid friendly soup and enhances the golden color and rich corn flavor. Simple to make and wheat free!
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup onion, diced 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup peeled potato, diced 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup peeled sweet potato, diced 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn (fresh off the cob or frozen, thawed)
- 2 Tbsp butter, coconut or olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Corn Flour
- 5 cups low-fat, skim or soy milk
- diced green onion tops for garnish
Melt butter or oil in soup pot on medium high heat.
Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and all potatoes. Stir and continue cooking 3 minutes.
Add corn, stir and cook 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium and stir in corn flour, salt, pepper, paprika and optional red pepper. Cook 1 minute before slowly adding milk. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower heat a bit more and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until creamy and thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Top with green onions. ENJOY!